Yes, The Income Tax Department (ITD) has made it easy to apply for PAN which is a pre-most thing before communicating with department. It’s called e-PAN, which is duly recognized by notification no. 7 of 2018 dated 27.12.2018. The ITD has named this service as Instant PAN through Aadhaar (link to website). This service is completely free of charge.
What are the pre-requisites?
1. The applicant of an e-PAN must have an active Aadhaar Number.
2. The applicant’s mobile number must be linked to his/her Aadhaar Number.
Important: e-PAN is a digital version of PAN, which means, e-PAN is digitally signed. Therefore, this facility will only allow the applicant to download a soft copy of PAN, which is completely valid. Note that processing or using more than one PAN is against the law and may attract a penalty of up to Rs. 10,000.
e-PAN is a valid proof of PAN and contains a QR code having demographic details of PAN applicant such as name, date of birth and photograph. These details are accessible through a QR code reader, which can be downloaded from the e-PAN FAQ page (look for FAQ 8).
What are the steps to apply for e-PAN?
2. On the left-hand side, click Instant PAN through Aadhaar.
3. Click Get New PAN.
4. Enter the applicant’s Aadhar number and the captcha code. Then select the I confirm that declaration and click Generate Aadhar OTP to receive an OTP on the registered mobile number.
5. Enter Aadhar OTP, and select Validate Aadhaar OTP and Continue.
6. The applicant’s details will appear, such as name, date of birth, gender, residential address, image, etc. Select the I accept that declaration, and click Submit PAN Request.
7. An acknowledgement number will be generated. Ensure to keep the same for future reference.
8. You may check the status of the PAN application. If allotted, you can download the e-PAN card in the PDF format.